View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
debueller
Base Member

Drives: 2013 370z sport tech
debueller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
My wife and yours are alike in terms of their daily drivers

For ours, I install a set of 18" wheels from a 350Z and winter tires for cold-temperature driving. Snow and ice are present during winter here, but at limited amount on average, so the car is equipped with the cheapest winter tires available (no expensive or fast-wearing dual-compound winter tires needed). This scenario reduces the wear on the expensive summer tires and, in turn, lessens the tire cost. I don't know about winter precipitation pattern is like in your area, but this might work in your situation.
I like your strategy managing tire cost and winter driving.

We live at a slightly higher elevation than the lower Puget Sound region and have to sometimes deal with snowy/icy hills in the winter.

My experience with high powered, rear wheel drive cars on snow/ice, even with studs, has shown that they pretty much suck.

We each still have our cheap commuters with winter studs and I got my Jeep Rubicon, too. Our Z has new 19" summer tires so it may sit in it's heated garage a bit this winter while I explore our options.

The challenge is going to keep me and my wife from wanting to drive it, no matter the weather.........
debueller is offline   Reply With Quote