View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 10:36 PM   #76 (permalink)
Ape Factory
Base Member

Drives: Audi RS5/QX70S
Ape Factory will become famous soon enough

Bumping this thread...I keep on going over the rear damper "preload" in my head due to the springs being separate from the damper body. The Aragostas have a blueprint included with the toolkit and they show the damper length, from the center of the bottom mounting eye to the top of the threaded body to be 356mm. I didn't notice this in the diagram and added about 10mm length to the damper body with the suspension pushed all the way down (lower mount still bolted up). If you just let it droop on it's own, there's still room for the suspension to move downward with a bit of force. I think ultimately, the sways/links limit the travel.

My main concern is the suspension going into full droop with the damper length being too short and having the piston bottom out. Conversely, if the shock body is too long, the damping is in the wrong part of the stroke and one could top out and hit the bump stops.

Either way, as it sits now, the rear suspension "feels" firmer than the front. I run more clicks up front than I do in the rear by quite a bit Backing the damping off the rears, I can get them pretty compliant whereas the fronts always seem to be pretty firm but compliant over the rough stuff with much firmer damper settings. I'm not sure what the end wheel frequencies are with 12K/10K front rear spring rates but they really react quickly to road imperfections. So I'm wondering if I'm setting the damper length correctly on the rears.