Thread: Food thread!
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
YzGyz
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 Nismo
YzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond repute

BB update:

3hrs of smoking passed and I pull them from the smoker.

The meat has a nice oakish yellowing with smoke on it. Think of semi used motor oil. It's yellowish. Here is a close up.

You can see the team players on the first picture. What I have is butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 water 1/2 bbq sauce (you can use whisky, Apple juice, apple cider, apple vinegar or whatever you savy in the mix). I water the BBQ sauce down so that I can paint the meat easier and so that it don't clump up. It allows more consistent even spread of sauce along with add extra steaming moisture. So I paint the meat side, sprinkle on some brown sugar, and add just a bit of butter. I flip the meat so it is now face down in the foil and repeat on the bone side making sure I get the ends and sides too. I repeated this 3x and back into the smoker they go.

You want to place the Ribs meat side down. This allows all that meat juice, sugar, butter, fat (int he rib itself) to puddle and marinade in all that goodness as it steams. This tenting part (some call it wrapping but it's really called Texas Crutch), is what makes the rib or any wrapped meat really tender. You add a little moister to the meat and wrap it up real tight. The meat steams inside the foil in its own juices and really tenderizes the food making it fall off the bone good. 2 hrs before I pull them out, unwrap and glaze them with the smoker going again.

*As a side note, the meat will not take in any smoke flavors when it is tented. You don't need to burn any pellets, wood ect during this stage. It will be "wasted smoke." I still have my pastrami going (its IT is around 170 right now. It's almost time to tent it too but just a few more deg to go).

Will check back in later, hopefully someone will share some grub post.

YzGyz

Last edited by YzGyz; 10-31-2016 at 04:17 PM.
YzGyz is offline   Reply With Quote