View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 02:11 AM   #109 (permalink)
beemerkid
Base Member

Drives: '16 sport 6MT
beemerkid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by solteroblues View Post
the motordyne utilizes Helmholtz "resonators" (excuse the term if that's incorrect) where as what this thread is focused on are the 1/4 side pipe resonators. Two very different approaches. THe Helmholtz works on volume, the side pipe works on length. From what I understand, the Helmholtz style covers a greater range, but they're harder for the DIY'er or local shop to build, because you have to have the different size pipes vs canisters for the effect.

If I'm mistaken, anyone, please correct me. THis is still all very new to me, as I just learned about this last night!
I have no clue if youre rightt, or wrong, but it has to have something to do with the volume anyway, maybe? The longer the pipe you branch off, the more volume there is inside. I dont know, I didnt do physics after high school, but it seems to me just thinking with my beer brain that the volume has as much to do with it as anything. Even if the "tuned to 1/4 wavelength, bouncing sound waves back to cancel out others" makes for good resoning.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote