View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
CrownR426
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Manual
CrownR426 has a reputation beyond reputeCrownR426 has a reputation beyond reputeCrownR426 has a reputation beyond reputeCrownR426 has a reputation beyond reputeCrownR426 has a reputation beyond reputeCrownR426 has a reputation beyond reputeCrownR426 has a reputation beyond reputeCrownR426 has a reputation beyond reputeCrownR426 has a reputation beyond reputeCrownR426 has a reputation beyond reputeCrownR426 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK370Z View Post
This is what I do:
Start:

Warmed up (my way)

I start the car. Wait for the water temp DOT to move from first to 2nd and then all hell breaks loose . I try to warm up a little before driving away because I live 30 seconds from highway. Don't feel too comfortable flooring the car when the engine is cold. But if I'm driving to the city and forced to drive cold (unable to wait), I just shift rapidly and keep the rpm less than 2000 until the engine warms up.

But I will say this, these newer Engines are designed to drive cold without a issue/problem. I was told, in old engines, most wear and tear happens during the first 15 minutes of driving a cold car. But with these new sophisticated engines, I think that's changed. As an old habit, I just feel comfortable driving a warmed up engine.
I'm going to have to say no to engines that are designed to drive cold without an issue/problem. It is never good to drive a car especially a sports car from a cold start... ALWAYS warm up and go.