View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nis350 View Post
I am sure the compressor is designed with high rpm engagement in mind. ...
My guess is that it's an "ordinary" clutch/compressor and that the clutch is turned off above some RPM. Too lazy to look it up in FSM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsolo View Post
I recall reading somewhere that ac compressor disengages by design at wot. The reason? Not sure, full power available for acceleration, less shock to the ac compressor/motor when it does engage.
It's for performance/economy. Once engaged, the clutch and compressor can handle whatever the engine throws at it at WOT (no different, from the A/C's POV, than any other throttle position) until you reach the compressor's RPM limit. I'm assuming that modern cars turn off the clutch before the compressor is spinning too fast but see closing comment above.