View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
epod86
Base Member

Drives: 06 Mustang GT BK M5
epod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure the worst country to own a car in is Singapore. If I remember correctly, goes something like this:

-200% sales tax, so a car cost 3X by default

-Engine tax based on displacement, I never knew the amount, but the company leased Toyota Odyssey was 1.6L and added at least 50% of original price. I might have also been dependent on car size/style.

-Certificate of ownership, these control the number of cars on the road. Essentially, one old car off, one new car on. these are auctioned by the government every month, and supply/demand controls the price. Normally 33% as a starting price, but you normally tell the salesmen what your cap is based on how quick you want the car.

-Sales fees. Because of all the regulation crap, no one ever guys their own car, the have the salesman take car of all the stuff I've mentioned. I think they use to take like 6% of the final price, good chunk of change.

Yah, my family sold a <6 month Jag S, a <16 month Diesel Chrysler Town&Country, and my dad's kit Shelby Cobra replica, and bought a 4d Renault Cleo with the money. Oh, and the cars were sold at British pound values. The company took care of the Odyssey. We don't have anyone from Singapore reading, do we?
epod86 is offline   Reply With Quote