View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Acid-Blade
Base Member

Drives: 2017 370Z 6MT Black
Acid-Blade is on a distinguished road
Default Frustrated to no end going from 1st to 2nd...

So I recently bought my Z I would say a good month ago, perhaps less than a month ago.

Going from 1st to 2nd is incredibly frustrating. Granted, when I first noticed that I was jerking the car around, I blamed it on myself due to the fact that I haven't driven a manual for a few years. I brushed it off as "I will get back to form soon". THIS has NOT been the case for me.

Surely it's a Z. I bought it for some occasional "spirited driving". I can launch it fine, but going into 2nd i have failed most of the time. Literally 3 of 10 tries i would fail.

So I read through the forums, many people have trouble but they get better at it. So I also take the approach, slow and steady but more importantly work on smooth transition from 1st to 2nd. Still I am not quite there, I would like to get better due to the fact, even when "normal" driving and "practicing" I am only getting about 5/10 smooth transition.

These are the things i have tried thus far....

1. Reving a little before the shift, then shift.
2. When easing off the clutch I do it slowly.
-This sometimes causes me to slip.............
3. I frequently seem to press the gas too late, causing the slow down jerk then acceleration jerk....
4. Sometimes I press the gas to early, cause it to slip more .........
5. Shifting fast/slow
6. Holding the clutch a split second longer before releasing the clutch... This one doesn't make sense to me if it works because when "spirited driving" I would not want to do this........

Main thing that annoys me, I can't get a grip on this clutch at all.... everytime I do it right, I can't replicated it right after but the feeling of the car pull when you do it right, even just smooth/slow shifting makes me want to get it right more than ever....... Someone help me .

A question though, Is there supposed to be that deep from the press clutch to the friction point on this car??????????????????????????
Acid-Blade is offline   Reply With Quote