View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Orionx1
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z Nismo
Orionx1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionx1 View Post
My science project for this weekend will be to simulate rear suspension travel. I’m thinking take a spring out, a tire off and with the car on a jack stand at ride height use a floor jack to move the suspension through its travel. If successful on one side I will check the other for peace of mind. Stand by for results.
Science project complete-
for those who care, this is how I spent last couple hours-
1-raised the back of the car, pulled both rears off and set the car on jack stands. Jack stands positioned under rear body mounts so the rear suspension can extend freely.
2- pulled the coilovers out and set them aside.
I now have completely free hanging suspension that I can move up and down easily without affecting the chassis. The sway bar is still fully connected.
3- used floor jack to simulate suspension travel.
before raising the suspension i checked the sway bar to c-rod gap at full extension and as expected the 1/2 inch gap (see my previous posts) had grown to about 3/4 inch. As I raised the suspension with the floor jack the gap gradually decreased to a 1/2 inch at about half way through full travel. To my surprise the sway bar to c-rod gap began to increase as I continued raising the suspension through its travel. The gap at or near the fully compressed suspension travel is about 3/4 inch.
I got the same results on both sides. I did not do any checking with both sides raised at the same time but I cant imagine that would change anything.
So it appears my sway bar to c-rod gap is tightest, 1/2 inch, at ride height!
I am using the OE Nismo sway bar. If I ever upgrade that i may be revisting this issue, but for now I think I'm good.
Orionx1 is offline   Reply With Quote