View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
ShinyaPGH
Base Member

Drives: 13 NISMO GM #300
ShinyaPGH is on a distinguished road
Default Motordyne Long tube Headers (prototype for 370Z) review

I was lucky enough to end up with the 1 of 1, Motordyne prototype Long tube XYZ headers for 370z. This set is the one that was displayed during the Zdayz for the raffle, and though I didn’t win it, I was able to obtain it from the gentleman who won the headers. Prior to installing these long tube headers, my performance included Stillen Gen3 intakes, Motordyne ART pipes, and Motordyne Shockwave cat back exhausts, tuned with uprev. As many of you know, it’s on one of the best sounding set up for 370z. Long story short, Dynosty from Louisville, KY stepped up to help me with this project, and they were able to install the headers and tune using ecutek software. This kit came with 3 XYZ options. Straight test pipes, Helmholtz resonated pipes (very similar to ART pipes but much shorter), and HFC. I opted to go with the Helmholtz resonated test pipes (Ohio doesn't have emissions or inspections. yay!). Here are the results as well as my impressions.

Intake + stock exhausts manifold + ART pipes + Shockwave + uprev
303.31 rwhp @ 7150rpm
253.66 rwtq @ 4450rpm

Intake + Motordyne Long Tube Headers + Shockwave + ecutek
328.45 rwhp @ 7360rpm
262.68 rwtq @ 5270rpm

Dyno Video:
https://youtu.be/zcLMeQUyh0U

Not only did I gain impressive numbers from these long tube headers, I’m more impressed that I gained it just about throughout the range, the power curve is smoother.
Sound:
So, I’ve had these headers on my car for about a month now. The exhausts sound is AMAZING. Maybe amazing doesn’t even cut it. ART + Shockwave sounded amazing already. With the long tube headers, the tone changed. For lack of better words, it sounds “nastier”. In a good way. ART pipes are amazing as they have zero rasp, and zero highway drone. Long tube did pick up a slight drone at highway speed, especially between 2000-2500rpm (roughly 65-70mph). But once you get up to 3000rpm or so, coasting at 75mph, there is hardly any sound. But as soon as you get on the throttle, it is LOUD. ART + Shockwave was loud, but the long tube headers take the loudness to another level, and I'm proud to say I'm the first owner of this amazing set up!

Driving impression:
ok. so the sound does do something to your perception. Being louder, it definitely feels stronger. But 25hp/9tq are enough to actually feel the change. She definitely feels much stronger on the bottom end especially in the 3000-5000rpm range, and the dyno result shows the exact same thing my butt dyno feels.

Here are some sample sounds from my track day at Mid-Ohio this past weekend. (excuse my friend Jarrett coaching me while I'm trying to learn the lines)

https://youtu.be/XLl0jPPxVK4

Huge thanks to Motordyne Engineering, and Dynosty, who did an amazing job at tuning.

Also, Tony from Motordyne is currently looking for more beta testers for this setup at a discount price. Contact Motordyne Engineering if you're interested!

Just for comparison, this is the exhausts video I made of my car with the ART pipes + Shockwave.

https://youtu.be/GwdzR973G5U
ShinyaPGH is offline   Reply With Quote