View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
GMB14U2NV
Base Member

Drives: 14 370Z TSCpe Gray 7
GMB14U2NV is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Setrab oil cooler for Trans

I just ordered one for my 2014 7AT Touring Sport I am building up myself. Absolutely a good idea IMO if you have done HP and Torque increasing mods to the car. Both truly effect tranny stress and temps.
DEpointfive0 said he has one but overkill...... Lot's of people might agree, but then again, don't really look at a whole picture.

Overkill??.?.? - Not really when you take these following points into consideration...
Your location is AZ. I used to live in Scottsdale before transplanting back to DFW. (Texas). Both states have very harsh temperature ranges that effect vehicles. Both states have higher tranny and overheat issues then northern states would. If you have changed intake, exhaust or added any other mods that boost engine revs and temps or just give you the itch to bang on it more - then yes - cool the tranny down.

For your application a 34 row on oil system gets part of the engine's fluid cooling process done. The other is Tranny system fluid. By cooling these 2 systems, the engine temp itself drops down a bit. Verified this on previous vehicles modified in both states.
I myself don't see the need to change the radiator in mine just yet, (too dang new yet) but since you are in a warmer drier heat - consider the radiator as well if you haven't already. (you have 09 posted as your vehicle year)
As for the fluids - use high end specified viscosity oem rated/accepted fluids. STAY UP ON THEM!!!

Also since you have a 7AT - cooling the tranny fluid in a 19 row should really improve the shifts and keep the fluid from breaking down way to fast in the high southwest heat.

To give you an idea where I am coming from - I have elected on Lvl 10 torque conv and valve body upgrades and adding the 19 row cooler. This allows for the other upgrades done and upcoming on this 14' 7AT of mine, to not heat/burn up oil and tranny so fast.
Intake / Manifold / Exhaust / Tune. Double dynamating and deadening of the car - added more weight. More strain on the tranny. Higher temps.
GMB14U2NV is offline   Reply With Quote