View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ryguy
Base Member

Drives: 11 Nissan 370z white
Ryguy is on a distinguished road
Default Z1 CSC Elimination kit review

So I haven't been able to find any review on Z1's CSC Elimination kit. Maybe theres one in the CSC failure thread but with so many posts, I figured it would be better to start a new thread.

So I had my CSC fail for the second time. The first time, I just had the dealership replace it and it was covered under warranty. I have moved since then, now I am over 45 minutes from the closest Nissan dealership and since these seems to happen to me every 20k miles, I decided to go with the CSC Elimination kit.

I bought everything through Z1, I bought a mid weight flywheel and standard full face clutch combo and added the CSC elimination kit upgrade. This kit came with everything I needed, including a SS clutch line, except fluid. I also bought a new OEM master cylinder as well.

I took my car to a local transmission shop to have them install the kit. Their comments after the kit was installed was that they are unsure how well the new Howe Racing slave cylinder will hold up, but the rest of the kit, specifically the clutch fork, seems really stout and built to last. As for the new slave cylinder, I am confident that if it were likely to fail, Z1 wouldn't have choose that part. And in the off chance it does fail, it will be easy and cheap to replace or rebuild. Overall, the transmission shop, Gateway Transmission in Oak Harbor, did the whole thing for about $1400, which includes taxes. Something else they told me was that my stock flywheel was about shot too, so this CSC failure was good timing in that respect.

After this kit was installed, I immediately noticed a difference in clutch feel. The clutch is heavier than stock. The clutch is not too grabby though, even though it engages and disengages very low on the clutch pedal. This will take some getting use to, shouldn't take too long to do so.

As for the mid weight flywheel, it is not a huge difference in engine response, but it is noticeable and I haven't notice any sacrifice when compared to the stock flywheel. I don't really hear any chatter. For me, it is a little harder shifting both smooth and quickly, but that could easily be the new heaviness in the clutch or a the clutch being slightly more grabby than stock, time will tell.

Overall I am happy with this kit, and if I never have to deal with a blown CSC again it will definitely be worth the time and money this kit cost me. I am more confident in the durability of this kit over the stock CSC. Even if I have to replace the Howe Racing CSC, its a $60 part and is completely accessible, which is much more than can be said about the OEM parts. I hope someone finds this post helpful and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CSC install invoice posted.pdf (147.1 KB, 97 views)