View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
scruffydog
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: with his eyes close
scruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond repute

About parking, I would advice to not park in the middle of nowhere. It's actually better if you park closer to everyone else than to park in the middle of nowhere. One time at the mall, I parked my car in the middle of no where. Although there was enough daylight, someone still broke into my car and try to jack my sound system. And this is supposedly even with Security cars driving around...

As my girl and I walked to my car and found a guy inside my car and another blocking the back of my car from a distance, I ran to my car unfortunately the guy in my car jumped into the other car and took off just in time.

Luckily nothing was stolen at this point because I was only away for 40 mins (but my car's center console was pretty messed up). But I can tell you, my car had Limo tint all around and 25% in the front 2 windows. As I was reporting this to the security, some guy came up and said he saw the whole thing, but he thought the guy who tried stealing my system owned the car so he just sat in his car and didn't do anything. He even told the security that the guy was popping my hood, truck, etc. (Pretty much, his statement was uselss to me)

I don't have any suggestion, I'm only sharing my experience. I bought an aftermarket NAV system that can't take out the faceplate (most double din NAV head units can't). My car didn't have any stickers to show off anything. I did have a subtle body kit, but it was a very clean ride - not rice at all. It was the headunit that gave it away - also because I parked far away from the group of cars - actually it wasn't even that much further from the group....just far enough to not get dings. It was an open, bright area, bright place, and there was even a witness! But I have to admit, the theives had an exit strategy which made it more convenient.

The only precaution I can tell anyone to take from my experience is that park closer to the mall where there's more people and hope for the best. After this experience, I unlatched the mechanical rod that connects to the door's keyhole to the lock switch on the door so it's jimmy proof.

Btw, I also had one of those transponder clifford alarms that can send a alert to your pod that can send up to 1/4 mile, but it wasn't as trusty as it claims it to be. The 1/4 mile distance advertised is probably only in an open area.

This is the reason I am going with Factory systems now...I am not discouraging anyone from going aftermarket because I understand why people like going aftermarket with sound systems. But the more stuff you put on your ride, the more positive & negative attention you're gonna get.

Last edited by scruffydog; 01-05-2010 at 11:58 AM.
scruffydog is offline   Reply With Quote