View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
RadioFlyer
Base Member

Drives: 08 G37S S/C
RadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeRadioFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

I daily drive mine - I have about 25K miles on my setup and it's still rock solid. But as far as people getting rid of it because their priorities changed - One thing to consider is how much it costs. It's around $10+K all in with supporting mods. For a lot of people, that takes some time to save up. And while they may be totally focused on saving for FI, things are slowly changing in their life during that time. So they finally save up for it and do it, and then realize that it's three years later, and their car has 25K more miles on it then when they first decided to do it, or that they are three years closer to having to start a family, or purchase a home...

So there is mention about foresight, and a lot of people don't have clear enough foresight to see the landscape that will exist when they finally save up for FI. I did a stint in the aftermarket car industry for about 10 years, so I've seen this happen to a lot of people. It's kind of like buying a Porsche - people want them starting when they are very young, but when they can actually afford one, they're too old to track it and do all of the hooligan stuff they said they would do. So they buy it, and garage it. Different scale, but same principle. Me, when I picked up my car, it had 35K on it, and I supercharged it immediately because I thought, "If I'm going to supercharge/turbo it AT ANY POINT, I would be kicking myself for not doing it when it only had 35K on it." No one wants to be in the position of finally deciding you want to do it, but realizing that the car you want to FI already has 100K on it. It's different for an intake or something small, a couple hundred bucks is a quick save and a quick spend. Not much changes in your life in the time it takes to go from "I want it" to "I have it" on something like that.
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote