Thread: RIP 2010 370z
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chuck33079
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2011 370ztt
Chuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Strata View Post
So I've been carpooling to work for the past year and as a result have been driving my Z less and less. I was supposed to take it in for service back in February or when I reached 73k miles. However, by March I had only 71k miles on the car and thought nothing of it. Fast forward to the summer time and temperatures reaching into the 100F+ every day.
I got sick of riding in a truck that had no AC so I started commuting to and from my work every day. Then I had shoulder surgery at the end of June and let my carpool buddy drive my car and I to and from work for the next two months.
Three weeks ago I have a blow out on one of my rear tires. I order up two new tires and wait a week for them to get installed. I start feeling better and more able than before, so I decide to treat my Z to a new stillen Gen 3 intake. I even buy some painted door handles to give her a cleaner look.
I proceed to start driving to and from work again, finally noticing that I'd exceeded the recommended service time frame by 1k miles. I think nothing of it and schedule an appointment with the same Nissan dealership I've had the car serviced at for the past 6 years. Then on my way home on friday suddenly I start to hear a knocking.
Knock, knock, knock, knock, knock, knock all the way home. I of course am panicked and beg to the Z gods that it isn't what I fear. I drive the car to the dealership on my appointed day and at the very last light before I reach the dealership my car dies. I push her the last 100 yards up to the dealership and leave her in their care, fearing the worst.
Today I've learned that I killed her. The engine is completely shot and needs to be replaced. This is the first time I've killed a car, and it was the first car that I truly loved. I think I grew complacent in my years of dealing with the dealership for service. I had the premium service contract and the extended warranty, but both expired in January.

Now I'm left with 2 choices.

1. Replace the engine for $11k (brand new) or $8k used (30k miles)
2. part her out.

Anyone have any idea how much I can get for parts?

In the meantime I'll be working my way to the bottom of bottle.
You can replace the motor for far cheaper than that.