View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Chuck33079
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2011 370ztt
Chuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseZ View Post
My thinking is more along the lines of help starts at home. How many people need help in Ontario, Canada, the North America? I'd rather not see our own population neglected as opposed to pumping more and more into foreign aid.

Sure, there are lots of people globally that need food, shelter, water; but there are right at home too. Teach them how to fish, then reach out to the others.

I think your heart is in the right place, but maybe look a little closer to home to see what can be done for your neighbours.

I looked through their financials in 2015, and didn't see anything going to Flint, MI and this charity is based in NYC. Granted, it's been a long day and I only skimmed their 2015 Audit, but it raised some questions. I'll look at it again this evening, but I don't understand why their funds (meant to be spent helping people) are being invested in the market. Why would you expose your operating / donation capital to market fluctuations, especially in a time as volatile as the last year.

Helping Africa is a bottomless pit. Any good you do will be undone by local governments / warlords in those areas. If you want to do the most good for your buck, give within your community.