View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not pretend this information isn't already on the internet, and shift points (recommended and minimum) are listed in the owner's manual. If you understand the basics of driving a stick and proper shift points, you know how to use the paddles. Common sense goes a long way.

I think the OP asked if they could drive in 4th gear from ~37mph until 7th gear. Umm... sure. You can drive in 4th gear until red line which is going to be like 120 mph or something far beyond where you would normally shift into 7th for cruising. I can shift directly from 1st to 6th at 35 mph in my MT Z, but 2nd-5th are there for a reason. That being said, sitting up around 4K RPMs while cruising for a bit is no problem - I understand wanting to be in the power band when that passing opportunity arises. Just keep an eye on temps and upshift when you no longer need the power. Personally, I feel the paddles are perfect for cruising in 7th and then downshifting into 4th or whatever when you need the power - it's not like the 7AT is a horribly slow shifting trans.

But if you're learning for the first time and not sure that you're doing it right, maybe wait until you have someone teach you how to properly use the paddles. A knowledgeable person in the passenger seat is going to provide way more benefit than discussing the topic on the internet.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |

Last edited by JARblue; 08-08-2016 at 05:48 PM.
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote