View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 10:46 PM   #111 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboZ View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has talked about the reason you don't run E85 in a car that wasn't designed for it. Yes, you can put it in, tune and run, however ethanol in high concentration is caustic to synthetic plastics, and will compromise the integrity of fuel lines, fuel pumps, and rubber components.

E85 cars from the factory use different fuel system components that will tolerate the higher ethanol percentages.

You can put it in and run it without the E85 conversion, but you will eventually have failures of the fuel system.
Ethanol is already in gasoline though. So a little or a lot, things should fail over time which they haven't. Phunks been running it straight for years and is fine. In fact all cars in this decade can run it. The difference you speak of is like my Regal GS. Everything is the same BUT an ethanol sensor which it didn't have. Buick doesn't make every Regal different with all new lines, seals etc. flex fuel cars just have the stuff available to be flexible. Check into the Subaru world. I know guys running 100k and running strong. I mean if they fail at 200k is that really a failure or an old part that let go? Only failures I've seen are 90's cars when ethanol wasn't in gasoline and therefor the lines were different. Running e85 in those will break the lines down and cause the gross black sludge in the filter sock which picks it up.