View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #1506 (permalink)
Z&I
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '09 370z 6MT FI
Z&I is a jewel in the roughZ&I is a jewel in the roughZ&I is a jewel in the roughZ&I is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSMO View Post
omg man, what exactly are you having done to your car and who has it now?
Went in 1st for Stillen SC'r upgrade _ Impeller, plugs, injectors, fuel pump, Frozen Boost heat exchanger, and TUNE.
2 weeks promised on that one turned into almost 6 months.

Got the car back for 1 day and blew the motor 1st time down the track.

Back in the shop pulled the motor and sent it down to Import Parts Pro for rebuild. That took almost 6 months.
After it got back from IPP the motor then sat in the shop for another couple of months until they actually started work on it.

The shop owner then decided to take a few months off and stay at home to take care of his brand new baby boy then went on vacation for a few more months to Florida.
That accounted for another 5 months delay in progress.

When he got back we had a little disagreement and I decided to pull the car out of his shop and ship it down to AAM Competition in Maryland - a little over 200 miles away.
This was just before FI was launching it's TT design.

It had been at the 1st shop for a little over a year before shipping it down to AAM.

It's now been at AAM for 15 months or so.
Not all their fault...there have been some legitimate delays due to other after market parts inavailabilty specifically the CJM twin fuel pump that they were upgrading the R+D on.

Since the car has been at AAM:
The TT install has been upgraded and I've made some additions to the build "as long as it was there" anyway.

The changes that have added more time to the build than anticipated.
New Technology and Products have been introduced and now filtered in to the mix.

Flex Fuel Capabilities
Twin Fuel Pump [R+D] and other fuel system components of AAM design.
Upgraded to Stage II TT's - now Borg Warner 7163's
EcuTek TUNE with Launch and Slip Control capabilities.

I'm doing a custom system to drop out the ABS/ABLS and power the Line Locks.
Also incorporating a separate Rotary Switch to control the Slip portion of the EcuTek T/C capability in conjunction with the ABS/ABLS Line Locks.
I've done all the operational design for this and have worked with the AAM engineering dept to make it work.

The dash has been totally reconfigured to accept a full compliment of guages and a Defi Tach.
Jason Gale has fabricated a Cubby panel to accept 2 more guages - that has turned out really nice.

Another mini project along the way was to convert to smaller brakes in order to allow the fitment of 17" wheels and larger tires geared for the 1/4 mile.
I went with Racing Brake - they have a kit for the 370Z just for this purpose.

What's left to do down there is the final engineering acceptance of their new upper intake manifold.
That in itself has taken some time to develop properly having gone through a few design refinements and test castings.
But I was waiting any way.

Once the car gets back up here I will be changing out the FD to Quaife and Automatic gears and adding a Z1 Diff Housing.
That has already been paid for to the original shop and I just don't want to have to pay for it again.
I did leave the original shop on sort of good terms and have gone back to say hi a few times.
Can't afford to burn bridges here.

I drove down to AAM a few weeks ago to check on progress - dropped off the little wheels with the big tires - looks pretty good on the car - I prefer the fatties look anyway.

So we will see ... I do plan [hopefully] to run the car in the fall season after a 'getting used to and break in period'.
hmmmm ... I seem to have said that 2 years ago as well ...

When it's finally done I will have a complete AAM Twin Turbo System with Flex Fuel capabilities.
Extended AAM Oil Cooler Performance and a host of other supportive performance gizmos to keep it safe and cool.

That's the short story

Wishing you the best with your build as well