View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 10:36 PM   #130 (permalink)
Silverstone
Base Member

Drives: 2010 Nismo #0507
Silverstone has a reputation beyond reputeSilverstone has a reputation beyond reputeSilverstone has a reputation beyond reputeSilverstone has a reputation beyond reputeSilverstone has a reputation beyond reputeSilverstone has a reputation beyond reputeSilverstone has a reputation beyond reputeSilverstone has a reputation beyond reputeSilverstone has a reputation beyond reputeSilverstone has a reputation beyond reputeSilverstone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to DIGI for the photo assistance that helped a bunch in my project.

From personal experience, this project is a bit more difficult than normal PLCC-2 projects. PLCC-4 LEDs have such small contact pads that require precise movement and soldering. I use a very fine pair of tweezers and an 898D soldering/hot air rework station. The soldering tip I use is a needle point and my hot air reflow tip is about 3mm.

The color is relatively close, being a cool white, but they're not to my liking. I'd like to darken the background of the LCD readouts while also reversing polarity of the information LCD. I'd rather have the numbers and letters be lit rather than the background. Not sure how it'll work, though, since the temp and fuel level dots are on the same LCD as the readout. I also have plans to experiment with the orange colored plastic around the LCD information center. I think I want to experiment with red LEDs behind them to give them a red glow rather than orange. I like the contrast of it instead of also being white. I'll update in the future if anyone wishes.

I used CREE PLCC-4 LEDs. Note the irregular lighting of the center gauge in the top-right corner. I replaced one of the original white LEDs with a cree to confirm color temp. The CREE LEDs are substantially brighter. If I follow through with this on my actual gauge cluster, I may replace all the standard white ones as well to achieve a more crisp cool white.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...A1AWKWCXAYB153

Last edited by Silverstone; 07-13-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote