Thread: Nismo ecu swap?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Jhill
Track Member

Drives: 2013 370z sport
Jhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban25 View Post
EcuTek RaceRom is safer on the track than the stock VDC. When VDC activates, it's very heavy handed and will cut throttle for an extended period of time (2+ seconds) even in cases where the car still has grip. This is bad news on the track because it can shift the car's weight distribution. It can also come as a surprise to someone behind you, who is not expecting you to suddenly slow down without applying the brakes! At Sonoma, I had to turn VDC off because it was activating on T3A -- preventing me from setting up properly for T4 due to the activation lag -- even when I adjusted my line and reduced entry speed to keep the car as straight as possible. I suspect it's the lateral G's that trigger it in the case.

VDC also tends to eat rear brake pads, due to the amount of rear braking it tends to apply. Back when I was tracking with VDC on, I was chewing through rear brake pads twice as fast as fronts! Bottom line, VDC in the 370Z is not a performance traction control system suitable for road racing. It might be acceptable on the Altima, but not on the Z.

RaceRom is much less intrusive and is adjustable from 0-100% using the cruise control buttons and temporary gauge hijack (it displays its setting on the oil temp gauge). I'll typically start with a setting of 50% and dial it up or down from there depending upon how the car's handling. If I'm at a track I know well, like Laguna Seca or Buttonwillow, I'll turn it off entirely. On the other hand, if it's raining and wet out, I'll turn it up to 100%. At 100%, there's no wheel slip at all (except in the rain, nothing it can do about that!), yet it doesn't cut power as intrusively as VDC.
Oh weird I did not know it was adjustable. From speaking with Seb I was under the impression it was a tweak he came up with to run with his MAP. So if I am understanding this right then when running his MAP for my tune I still have the option to tune the VDC independently of the MAP? Also I have only tracked once and it was leguna seca and I never felt like the car vdc was interfering but in still new however I never experienced the whole "ice mode" thing and hope to never experience it. Does the ecutek fix that?
Jhill is offline   Reply With Quote