View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
40 to 332
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 13 370Z BS M6 Sport
40 to 332 has a reputation beyond repute40 to 332 has a reputation beyond repute40 to 332 has a reputation beyond repute40 to 332 has a reputation beyond repute40 to 332 has a reputation beyond repute40 to 332 has a reputation beyond repute40 to 332 has a reputation beyond repute40 to 332 has a reputation beyond repute40 to 332 has a reputation beyond repute40 to 332 has a reputation beyond repute40 to 332 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with JARblue. I've replaced my MC three times, the last time with the RJM heavy-duty MC coupled to the RJM pedal assembly. I have not written up a DIY, but agree with JARblue that it is a fairly straightforward install. A couple of things:
First, as JARblue points out the space is tight, not only on the engine bay side where the MC is located, but especially in the driver's side footwell where you'll be spending most of your time during the install.
Second, it helps to have a second person involved, not only to steady the new MC when it's first fitted in the fire wall, but also to read out the instructions from either the FSM (stock MC) or RJM PDF (HD MC) while you're stuck in the footwell.
Third, the 12 mm nuts holding the MC against the firewall ... especially the nut on the left-hand side when looking forward from the footwell ... can be difficult to get to. I suggest either a 1/4" drive ratchet fitted with an extension and swivel joint (as JARblue mentioned) or a 12 mm offset wrench. I used the latter.
Fourth, you'll need to disconnect the upper (cruise control) and lower (clutch ignition) switches that are mounted on the pedal assembly. I found these difficult to disconnect simply because of the tight space. The switches will also need to be properly aligned and adjusted during one of the last steps of the install. This can require some patience to get the settings right.
It's also important that the clutch rod be properly aligned so that it moves in and out without resistance when the pedal is depressed and released. I'm still trying to find the absolute "sweet spot" for the adjustment after having driven the car with the new HD MC and RJM pedal assembly for about a week.
Finally, you need to make sure that all moving parts are well greased to avoid rubbing, which can result in annoying noises every time you clutch.
I agree with JARblue that the job could be completed by a competent mechanic within an hour if you're simply installing a replacement OEM MC and staying with the OEM pedal assembly. However, it took me an afternoon to install the RJM HD MC and pedal assembly since it requires more steps ... including removing the fender liner and replacing a portion of the stock clutch line with a braided SS line that is part of the RJM kit.
Trust this helps. Good luck with the install. Final piece of advice: Take your time and read the instructions carefully (at least three times) before beginning the work. Also, if you decide to stay with the OEM MC, you will need to bench bleed it before installing it. You can find instructions for bench bleeding on the internet.
40 to 332 is offline   Reply With Quote