View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #42 (permalink)
370Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 Corvette G.S.
370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannibul View Post
It says it right in the manual, plain as day, to not "top off" the tank.

My truck, with it's bad fuel filler hose (cracked rubber hose going from filling port to the top of the tank) won't let me "top it off" because it'll just drain it out.

As with your harley, as with my bike...that last little bit of gas you can squease in there amounts to about an 8th of a cup. That might get you a couple miles in the right conditions.

My bike doesn't have a fuel guage. It has a reserve. It also has a resettable trip meter. I use the trip meter, when it tips 150 miles, I hit the gas station and fill it back up. I do get as much as I can in it, but, at the same time, I don't try to get every drop I can in it. Once it starts bubbling (if you saw me do it, you'd understand, I stop - it's probably about 1-1.5" from the top. Could I squeeze in more, sure can. Might be 10miles more...

But the end result is that I don't gas on me, and I don't want gas on my engine, and I don't want gas ON my bike and all it's parts that would have to be cleaned else risk damage...(leather)

So...with the Z...I don't want gas on the paint. I don't want to risk damaging parts to the Z that would be more expensive to replace than getting a tow, or calling a buddy with an out-of-gas story...
Great post, and any motorcyclist would agree.

x2 on Modshack's recommendation of Techron additive. I've used that on clogged injectors, it's a miracle drug.