View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
etx
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z PW M6
etx is on a distinguished road

Ok, dug into it last night.

On the driver side I checked the runout and found .020 on the rotor! Ouch! I removed the caliper and rotor, cleaned the hub with a scotch bright pad until it shined. Checked the wheel bearing as per the Timkin recommended process and found little to no play whatsoever. Turning by hand it is smooth and does not make any concerning noise.

I reinstalled the rotor, checked again. Got twenty thou again. I added marks at the highest and lowest points on the lateral runout. Removed the rotor and turned it on the hub by 90 degrees or as close to that as the lugs would allow. I checked again and still got 20 and the marks on the rotor still lined up so this tells me without a doubt the rotor is bad and the hub is fine.

Now I also moved the dial indicator to the other side of the rotor and checked it. I get the same amount of deflection on the inside of the rotor, also in the same direction. This tells me that the rotor is not straight, it is 'warped' as it it is not bulging. If the issue was pad deposits I would see a bulge, not a warp. Right?

I haven't tried the passenger side but it seems to be spinning freely so I'm focusing on the driver side right now. The driver side when free spun with the wheel on it seems to drag on the pad and slow down quite quickly.
etx is offline   Reply With Quote