View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
ZHighlander
Base Member

Drives: 16 Nismo Tech W M6
ZHighlander will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ View Post
^THIS^ I do this on a somewhat regular basis (mostly off-ramps) and it works.

I know opinions will differ, but for me if I can coast down from a relatively high speed versus hitting all the downshifts to come to a stop, why wouldn't I? I would rather put the wear on the brake pads than the clutch, transmission, and engine. I would rather pay to replace brake pads than any of the other components ($$).
It's completely up to you, but it's worth noting that if you're in neutral in relatively high speeds, you have a lot less control of the vehicle should you need to make any sudden course changes for emergencies. In this case, it's not about brake or clutch wear, but vehicle safety.

The way I do it, if I know I'm going to decelerate to a stop, is leave in 6th or 5th and use the brakes till near the moment of stopping before setting in N, if I don't feel like downshifting is necessary. I would still have some acceleration control if needed, but still less wear on clutch.

Again, how you drive is up to you. But at least know that your control is much more limited while in Neutral. You don't have to take my word for it. Pro drivers and trainers can give you the same info.
ZHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote