Thread: Bmw m2
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #133 (permalink)
Magic Bus
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 17 6MT M2
Magic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond reputeMagic Bus has a reputation beyond repute
Default M2 Test Drive

I have my name on a list and put a $1k deposit on a M2 over 5 months ago. I finally got to test drive one today and I believe the hype is real. While I wasn't able to really push it, the few hard acceleration spurts and quick turns, convinced me to leave my deposit and patiently wait my turn to order one.

As compared to the M235i that I test drove months earlier, the M2 offers better steering feel, is quicker, does not roll like the 235 and has very strong brakes. The demo M2 had their performance exhaust on, which made it sound excellent. However I'm not going to order mine with it, as it's pricey and doesn't offer any performance gains other than sound. So I'll wait for the aftermarket.

Unfortunately the demo came with a DCT and I'm going to order mine with a 6mt, but the DCT was impressive and upshifted very quickly with the paddles and rev matched perfectly on the downshifts.

IMO the BMW engineers did a great job of giving this car a soul, very much like the Z. The M235i can be a very nice DD as it's quiet & smooth, but these qualities also creates isolation from the road, plus the lack of steering feel, made it to uninvolving for me.

While my wait time for the M2 is unknown, it could be a year, give or take a few months. I'm not in any rush to change, as my 370Z is a very capable car versus the M2. IMO the M2 is the better overall car here, but it better be, it's 8 years newer and costs $20k more than a Sport Z.

A couple of things I can definitely say after this test drive. 1) The Z still maintains better steering feel. 2) The Z is still a hell of a bargain as a sports car.
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote