View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Darwins Child
Base Member

Drives: '14 Z Tour+Sport 7AT
Darwins Child is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliriousClam View Post
I'm taking this directly from his facebook.
When I left the car it was not on fire and was safe. At 529pm that night I was told it had caught on fire. He told me that it was just driven to the service center and then started on fire. He had no other details. He stated that they hadn't even touched the car yet. So what? It spontaneously combusted? It turns out not only did they get it on a lift.. but they drove it two miles.. 2 miles in a car that had little to no brake pressure and a known fire hazard in the engine bay.
It's easy to criticize with 20/20 hindsight, but a fire anywhere on a vehicle is something that dealership staff should have been pro-actively trained to deal with quickly, before it caused great damage. If the dealership has no written ST.O.P. for how to deal with vehicle fires and no written record of the individual staff members who had anything to do with the vehicle that day having been trained in the use of that procedure, the dealership is legally vulnerable.

A few obvious questions. If the vehicle was already on the lift when the fire started, why didn't they immediately extinguish the fire while the fire was still small? Did they attempt to extinguish the fire and, if yes, just exactly how was that unsuccessful attempt made?

Assuming the service people were in fact aware of this vehicle's fire hazard, they should have at the very least had a large CO2 fire extinguisher at the ready to quickly extinguish any fire and cool hot metal (without coating any part of the vehicle with dry chemical) whenever and wherever they drove the vehicle. This means that when they drove it those two miles, they should have had the extinguisher either secured in the passenger seat or on its floor space.

It would be interesting to walk into that dealership's service area today to see if there is a CO2 extinguisher at the ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeinjapan View Post
call the cops get the security footage

any ex gfs we should be aware of?
100%, although the cops may very well tell you "it's a civil matter" and that they won't do it. What the victim needs is a court injunction to prevent the dealership from destroying any video they might have of the incident. He should go to the clerk of court or call a legal aid society and ask how it might be possible to get that injunction.
Darwins Child is offline   Reply With Quote