View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #43 (permalink)
RJ MFG
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 04 Nissan 350Z CS M6
RJ MFG has a reputation beyond reputeRJ MFG has a reputation beyond reputeRJ MFG has a reputation beyond reputeRJ MFG has a reputation beyond reputeRJ MFG has a reputation beyond reputeRJ MFG has a reputation beyond reputeRJ MFG has a reputation beyond reputeRJ MFG has a reputation beyond reputeRJ MFG has a reputation beyond reputeRJ MFG has a reputation beyond reputeRJ MFG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by derraj06 View Post
The stock backing plates have been known to flex and/or break at sustained RPM's above 8000 RPM due to vibration. This along with the gears is why most of the teams went dry sump.

Third party bench testing is good. Did they heat cycle and thermal shock it while they tested? Not saying you have a bad product but my car runs in anywhere from 0 F to 120 F temps. OE tests for all of those conditions and given it's the heart of the engine I like to know the metallurgy has been tested similar to OE testing.

These are questions I've asked other manufacturers of oil pump gears as well. I would absolutely love to be able to not dry sump my car but I don't want to lose an expensive engine to an oil pump either.

I talked to Bobby at Zdayz for a bit about this and my application but sadly I had to leave before we could get more in depth.
Thanks for the update on the backing plate. As of right now the plan is to go with gears only. I have talked with several people in the industry over the last several months including Jim and Clark at JWT and the backing plate was never brought up as an issue. lol If you have ever talked with Jim or Clark at JWT you might as well get out a pen and pad because you will be on the phone for an hour long seminar... Those guys know there stuff! We will have an eye on this as my car will have one of the first units pushing really high rpms. If there becomes an issue we will address it. However, through our testing so far we have not seen this as a weak point yet. Just like many are surprised that my car is still running stock trans gears at over 1100hp at the crank yet GTRs have to have theirs replaced at this level. We want to be smart about replacing parts if there isnt a need we dont want to charge the customer for it.

Thanks,

Mike
RJ MFG is offline   Reply With Quote