View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #41 (permalink)
derraj06
Enthusiast Member

Drives: MB 370z
derraj06 is a glorious beacon of lightderraj06 is a glorious beacon of lightderraj06 is a glorious beacon of lightderraj06 is a glorious beacon of lightderraj06 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ MFG View Post
What have you seen as an issue with the backing plate? We are still awaiting the files from the bench test results. As soon as those files are available we will put together a view for the community. AS far as the bench test methodology. We used a third party testing facility that specializes in testing these parts this is not an inexpensive process but given that this is such a crucial part that our motors rely on we wanted to ensure that the parts we would be using would support well beyond the goals of the community. Please note that these gears were installed into a factory oil pump and the bench test simulates real world environment that the oil pump will go through. All of the shock, heat and rpms you can throw at this oil pump was done and even past the extremes of application. Rest assured that this is a product that will live up to its advertisement.
The stock backing plates have been known to flex and/or break at sustained RPM's above 8000 RPM due to vibration. This along with the gears is why most of the teams went dry sump.

Third party bench testing is good. Did they heat cycle and thermal shock it while they tested? Not saying you have a bad product but my car runs in anywhere from 0 F to 120 F temps. OE tests for all of those conditions and given it's the heart of the engine I like to know the metallurgy has been tested similar to OE testing.

These are questions I've asked other manufacturers of oil pump gears as well. I would absolutely love to be able to not dry sump my car but I don't want to lose an expensive engine to an oil pump either.

I talked to Bobby at Zdayz for a bit about this and my application but sadly I had to leave before we could get more in depth.