View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
cstr_Cali
Enthusiast Member

Drives: smoke grey
cstr_Cali has a reputation beyond reputecstr_Cali has a reputation beyond reputecstr_Cali has a reputation beyond reputecstr_Cali has a reputation beyond reputecstr_Cali has a reputation beyond reputecstr_Cali has a reputation beyond reputecstr_Cali has a reputation beyond reputecstr_Cali has a reputation beyond reputecstr_Cali has a reputation beyond reputecstr_Cali has a reputation beyond reputecstr_Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Motor Trend: Arthur St. Antoine's 2nd take on the Z34

Quote:
My Take On the 2009 Nissan 370Z
Posted Today 02:45 PM by Arthur St. Antoine

Drove the new Z home the other night, then took a morning spin across Mulholland Drive. My take? I like it. The car rubs me the right way. It’s not perfect, but Nissan has nicely sharpened-up its famous sports two-door -- and greatly enhanced its flight deck.

By now most of you have undoubtedly read fellow MT’er Ron Kiino’s first test. At the track, the new Nissan blazed through our performance trials: 0 to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds, the quarter in 13.3 at 105.7 mph, maximum lateral grip a face-distorting 0.99 g. So, yes, the numbers are there.

What the stats don’t reveal, though, is how the Z has moved upscale. The new cockpit is gorgeous, with rich-looking soft-touch materials and mostly astute ergonomics. Nissan’s navigation system (optional) is one of the best on the market, both intuitive to set up and easy to interpret. The seats are terrific, proffering deep bolsters and trimmed in a grippy, good-looking cloth (leather is available). Big thumbs-up to Nissan’s designers for getting the seat controls right, too: fore-aft and seatback recline are power-controlled, while seat-cushion angles are manually configurable via two large, well-placed rotary knobs. As before, the primary gauges move up or down with the steering wheel (though the wheel doesn’t telescope), ensuring that the dials are always easily visible.
2009 Nissan 370Z cockpit

I noted only a couple of minor interior quibbles. The temp and fuel-quantity displays on the left of the dash are a row of orange LEDs that wash out in bright sunlight (you have to use the shadow of your hand to read them). And as far as I can tell, if you want to connect the available iPod interface cord in the center console, you can’t re-insert the plastic cupholder tray that normally fits there. Nor is there any convenient place to stow the tray when it’s removed. Apparently, you cannot enjoy your iPod and a chai soy latte, too (actually, is that ever possible?).

My dash across Mulholland confirmed the Z’s massive grip levels and revealed its excellent steering feel. I also got to play with the car’s innovative "SynchroRev Match" feature, which blips the throttle automatically whenever you move the gear lever for a downshift. If you’re accustomed to doing your own heel-and-toe downshifting, as I am, it takes a moment or two to break yourself of the habit of moving your right foot while braking for a manual throttle blip. Instead, just keep your foot firmly on the brakes and let SynchroRev Match make you look like Lewis Hamilton. The system works remarkably well, though if you insist on being a shifting purist you can simply turn it off.
2009 Nissan 370Z

The updated VQ six pulls really hard to its 7500-rpm redline, though there’s enough torque on tap (270 pound-feet) to keep the boil on even at lower revs. Yet Nissan still has some work to do on engine refinement; at higher revs, the exhaust gets coarse and you will feel some tingles through the pedals and wheel. Colleague Angus MacKenzie describes the Z’s NVH as “just awful,” but I wouldn’t go that far. True, this is no syrupy BMW six under the hood, but I didn’t mind the engine rasp when gunning hard. Adds a little raw flavor to the driving experience. And at cruise the Z is fine.

I’m impressed by the Z’s solidity. The structure hangs tough in hard corners and remains composed over rough roads. And while the rear tires were clearly fighting to stay planted in every corner -- I could see the traction/stability dash warning firing away -- the electronics didn’t intrude. And I was driving the Touring model. With Sport Package, the Z undoubtedly feels even edgier.

At a base sticker of $30,625 and an as-tested price of about $34K, the Z returns a whole lot of curvaceousness and kick for the dollar. It’ll be a strong player in a class including the new Camaro, Mustang, and Solstice Coupe -- can you say “comparo test?”

Stay tuned. And have a great Thanksgiving.
http://image.motortrend.com/f/editor...issan-370z.jpg
cstr_Cali is offline   Reply With Quote