Thread: 370z new owner
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
epod86
Base Member

Drives: 06 Mustang GT BK M5
epod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkim85 View Post
hey
im not dwsq but i own a 370z.
IMHO, no i dont think its the right decision.
especially because the car is powerful AND its a rear wheel drive.
without knowledge of having to control the car , say in wet weather,
its very easy to lose control of the car since its a rwd.
He should be ALOT better off with a FWD or even better yet AWD.
dont show this post to your son. he might start flaming on me
I agree. As a 22yr old out of college, high horse RWD can be a lot of car for a starting ride. Everyone will be very tempted to 'let her go' at some point, but a young driver won't have the experience to react properly. My grandfather use to take his girls to the snow-dump parking lot and make them drive through snow drifts so that they had experience with it. My dad took out to some roads by the lake and let me pound through the gears. He also use to tell me to do 'silly' stuff, like gun it from a light in wet weather so I would have experience with fish-tailing. He knew the circumstances and was making the decisions to be 'reckless' so that I didn't have to but would still experience a car on the edge of the performance envelope.

With a high performance car, and a young male driver, everything is a risk assessment. Age, experience, RWD, sportiness of car, safety features, these all go towards higher insurance premiums because there is a higher probability that the policy will have to pay out. They are price gouging you but the trend is none the less valid. That said, I took my test with 12hrs driving experience because my parents knew I was ready. My dad traded a boat sedan for a sport coupe with a manual because he knew I was ready.

The decision is yours. My recommendation would be to test drive the car, then think about the car, your son, and what the two together would mean. Then maybe I would see if you can get an overnight test drive, and take him for a test drive in it, and explain your concerns. Communication is key, right?
epod86 is offline   Reply With Quote