View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #160 (permalink)
cv129
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nismo, 16 Nismo
cv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi VinceThe1,

From a rim protection stand point, I agree with you.

From a performance stand point...I do think that there's a diminishing return. I've always thought tread width should closely match the rim width (measuring inner barrel, not lip to lip).

Measurement #'s from TireRack:

Tread Width - 285/35/19 RE11 has tread width of 10.4", which practically equals the Nismo rear rim width. The measurement is from the tire mounted on a 10" rim, so mounting it on a 10.5" inch would give it a slightly bigger tread width #.

Section Width - this is sidewall to sidewall width, same tire is 11.4". I think Nismo rears is around 11.5" lip to lip. Looking at my rears, the tire sidewall looks to be flat, if not at a ever so slight angle, so I see your point on rim protection.

However, with 325/30/19, tread width of 11.5" was measured on a 11.5" rim. Mounting it to a narrower rim will decrease the actual contact patch. I don't know the exact math, but I want to point out it the tire treads across the width aren't getting evenly pushed to the ground, hence not quite effectively being utilized. As far as ultimate grip goes, 325 probably still beats 285 on the same 10.5" rim, but I think mounting overly wide tires onto relatively narrow/skinny rim width that's out of range shouldn't be used as a blanket conclusion IMHO.

My theory is for street tires. Slicks are something else.