View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Darwins Child
Base Member

Drives: '14 Z Tour+Sport 7AT
Darwins Child is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amj2020 View Post
I was really considering putting a clear bra on the front end of my Z.

I assume you mean something like 3M film, correct?

Its all aftermarket with Fuji front bumper and vented fenders, and amuse everything else. The installer is one of the best around and he basically said straight up if the body shop skimped on any prep work there is a high likelihood of the paint lifting when they install the bra.

What was that "prep work" and when did your body shop do it? The longer the period of time between painting and 3M, the better.

A lot of you guys have custom cars so I was wondering your takes on it, pros and cons. I mean I could always have it repainted but that would be annoying. With the car being black, and me NEVER driving it because its so damn low and eats gravel for a living, I think its worth the risk. I could theoretically just let it get damaged from rocks and have it repainted every other year or so, but its more of a garage queen which hardly gets used.

Do you ever drive the vehicle during the winter months or when there is winter sand still on the road? If so, get film installed on the vehicle in the usual areas, including the headlight lenses. Around here, some people even put it on the running boards. The Nissan dealerships in our area offer and recommend a full 3M package to protect the vehicle's paint. Our vehicle has that package.

I just value a lot of your input here to see what you think or to see whether or not you guys have experience with this topic.

Anyone ever seen the paint lift during a clear bra install, I certainly have heard of it during a removal. Thanks in advance! I would say TIA but in my field it means a stoke, so not the best abbreviation ever!
Let me guess. "This is Africa", right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keAzXQtuzf4

BTW, installing 3M film can be a DIY job.
3M Ventureshield Clear Bra Paint Protection Film Kit Fits 2014 Nissan 370Z Nismo | eBay

I bought and installed such a kit myself on an '05 Lexus LS430 and the result was professional-looking. The only key to doing the job right is preliminary research and education and, during the application, dogged persistence.

Good luck.
Darwins Child is offline   Reply With Quote