View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
obender66
Base Member

Drives: 2016 370Z Base 6M GM
obender66 is on a distinguished road
Default Leaking oil cooler fittings on Z1 kit

Hi all,

I tried to get feedback from Z1 on the issue with no response to multiple messages. So I have to turn to the masses now
I had Z1 oil cooler installed last week by very reputable local shop. Within 30-40km of driving I got a huge oil leak which ended up on my parking floor and sprayed on exhaust(it was smoking!)
Next day I raised the car and located the leaks. Two of the fittings were leaking-as indicated by arrow, where angled elbow goes into the nut. With engine running, leaks were like from running faucet-leaving trail of drops behind the car.

One at the filter plate and one at cooler itself. NOT the threads. I started tightening them little bit by bit-took 3 retightening/test drive sessions to eliminate constant hanging drop. After about 2 hours of city driving this week I rechecked it again-same places still had oil "sweat" and drops on the undertray. Now, they are damn tight and I am afraid that I start breaking things.
Car is built to be track driven and I cannot afford ANY indication that fittings are leaking, even the tiniest bit.
I am considering having completely new hoses built with Aeroquip fittings and hoses to ensure that components match. I am worried though that threads on fittings will not match fittings on the oil cooler/adaptor plate. Will they?
Is there another solution? $ is secondary consideration, I want to have it done right.

Thank you for any input!
Alex

This is direct link to the image:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sashaa...in/dateposted/
obender66 is offline   Reply With Quote