View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by edliaszenik View Post
So to be clear, if I wanted to go FI in the future but want an oil cooler for now that I can still
Use once I'm boosted, how do I avoid overcooling? I've heard of sand which plates being used but how does that all work?
Thermostatic sandwich plate allows partial oil flow to the oil cooler (usually ~20%) when the oil is not warmed up enough. Once the oil warms up enough (usually ~180F) it will allow 100% flow to the oil cooler. Even with it, some people still have to fabricate a block off plate for their oil cooler; this is usually a sheet of metal attached to the front of the cooler to block air from passing over the cooling fins. Install the block off plate in the cooler months (when you're having trouble getting up to 180F temps) and remove it in the warmer months for full cooling capability.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |

Last edited by JARblue; 05-21-2016 at 06:34 AM.
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote