View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #6145 (permalink)
posades
Base Member

Drives: '16 Nissan 370Z MB
posades is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Z View Post
IMO this is an argument against failing to use signals and following too closely. No argument against backing into spaces. They should have used their blinker, and you shouldn't have been so close that you would almost hit them.

I almost always back in due to the fact that in our cars it's nothing but prayers backing out of parking spots. I can not see anything until I am halfway out of the spot. But I also usually park out of the way so I am not impeding traffic either.
I mean couldn't this same argument be turned the other way as well? Backing out normally shouldn't be considered dangerous if people are following the posted speed limit of 5 mph and yield for someone that obviously has their backup lights on. The roads would be a much safer place if everyone followed the rules, but let's be honest no one ever does 100% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHighlander View Post
The fault of the driver making an abrupt stop without warning and blinking, and during rush hour periods, or someone following too closely, does not make the concept of "backing up" less safe. It just means some drivers are making bad decisions. I certainly wouldn't back into a space slowly if there's a row of cars waiting on me.

Backing into a space also isn't exclusive to making a "quick getaway". It also has a lot to do with the safety of pulling out of the parking space when our vehicles have such horrible rear blindspots, as others have mentioned.
How does it make it MORE safe though? A driver can hit something backing into a spot as well as when leaving forward facing just as much depending on what's beside you, other drivers at the time, etc. I agree that a 370Z has horrible blind spots backing up, but I still see people in convertibles and cars with better viewing angles back in all the time. With the advent of backup cameras, I just don't see how backing into a spot is THAT much safer, at which point it comes down to convenience for the driver and inconvenience for everyone else having to wait. If someone's out of the way or has no one near, I have absolutely no problem with someone backing in.
posades is offline   Reply With Quote