View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
avantcrap
Base Member

Drives: 2013 370z
avantcrap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseZ View Post
I'm going through the same set of decisions as you right now. And even that 4100NEX is one of three head units I've narrowed it down to, not least because it is on for a very good sale price right now. I'm glad to hear you like it, CarPlay included as there are very mixed reviews on it.
Yeah, I've enjoyed it so far. Haven't had any issues with it at all, and it works well for what I need it for. The higher end models come with their own GPS, but I figured that'd be a waste of money if I can use GPS from my phone via carplay.

Quote:
It sounds like we share thoughts on home audio as well. I've got NAD, Klipsch and some Polk running there.
My home speakers are Tannoy, which I really love for the music I listen to. The midrange on them is really lovely! My setup is mostly for vinyl records, though I do have a decent Arcam CD player with dual-DACs that is nice. My amps are all tubes. My home audio knowledge doesn't translate too well to cars lol.

Quote:
As to car speakers I think I've narrowed it down the Polk components. For 6.5" speakers they seem to have about the greatest dynamic range available in the mid level price point. For $300 or so I think they will be a good purchase, with tweeters and crossovers. For the low end they cut off around 30hz which is substantially lower than most others I've seen in that range. By all accounts they are just as clean as punchy as the affordable Polk home audio cousins that you are familiar with. Im not interested in even small subs, or the space they would take up.

I've noticed there are many here that dismiss the rear 3.5s in our cars, however I think they will fill the soundstage gaps that are left by only having the door speakers up front so I'm going to run them as well.
I was thinking about the same with this. I think if I had a sub, I would be more inclined to skip the rear speakers, but without one the soundstage will seem a little lacking without anything in the rear. I was looking at the polk db5251 set (which is bizarre since crutch field brings it up as being ok in the doors in their search but in your cart they say it isn't recommended), but not sure about it. Also not really sure how it all works in the car. With these, would the tweeters go in the dash area and the speakers in the doors with the crossovers?

With the rear speakers, I cannot find any polks in that size and not sure really what to get that would work in that space.

What a headache!
avantcrap is offline   Reply With Quote