View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
cameronZ
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z 40th
cameronZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cove87 View Post
Alright. So I got the new resonated short tails on the car this weekend. Initial impressions:

- No noticeable change in overall tone/deepness/growl (good thing, I was afraid of losing that aggressive grunt)

- Noticeable reduction to interior droning (still drones, but MUCH more bearable, especially the dreaded hill climbs in cruising gears)
-Maybe a 30-45% reduction to interior droning
- Noticeable reduction in rasp/pinging
-Volume increase as sound opens up at 3000 RPM+ is MUCH smoother, no longer cringy
-I no longer feel as though I MUST shift before 3000 RPM out of consideration for the hearing of others

- LARGE reduction in WOT volume (followed my car while someone else drove it, did not make me feel like my chest wanted to burst)
-Still able to hear the car at a nice distance, but it won't make people swerve off the road if I stab the throttle from out of no where anymore
-If I had to TRY to quantify the volume change (50-60% quieter at WOT)
-Wife followed in her car with 6month old baby, baby didn't freak out once

- Cold starts are still very, very brutal. Not much change there.

- Seems to take some driving/small break-in for the resonators to fully mellow out and quiet down.. They seemed a bit loud still when I FIRST put them on the car, but after driving for 15 minutes or so, they began to get smoother/quieter. I did quite a bit of driving this weekend (200 miles or so) and that definitely made them quieter than when I first put them on (2 or 3 days ago).

All in all, very satisfied with my upgrade to the resonated short tails from non-resonated. Still need to take some new video, sound clips, but I've got a video of a cold start on my instagram (look up covey.little, can't link it as I'm at work ATM).
Thank you for the detailed review! I'd love to hear a video when you get a chance. I've been considering doing the s line midpipe and resonated short tail combo with my art pipes like you have done. In my opinion it's the loudest and deepest combo I've seen on our cars.