View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
kbc749
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z 6MT
kbc749 is on a distinguished road

I can totally recognize how it would feel to buy someone else's modified Z. Or any modified car.

Think about it, how much research did you do before you bought your first performance part or visual upgrade (or sticker). Did you turn the bolts yourself? To me, doing these things makes me a car person. Looking at all the options, what can I afford, is it worth it?

When I got my Berk HFC's and dealt with the demon bolt first hand.
When I got my Typhoon intakes and Z1 upper manifold and ran out to the garage one morning to knock it out before my other things I had to get done that day.
When I got these AAM Short Tails recently and had a small issue with one of the bolts being rounded off and having to cut the nut off and repair the threads a bit and dig through a gallon bucket of nuts to find a suitable replacement.
When I decided which tires I wanted to put on, how wide I can go and the pros and cons of each.
When I decided which stickers I was going to put on and where they were gonna go so there wasn't an overkill but I supported the causes/people/companies I wanted to.
When I decided to tint the windows, what levels I chose and why.
When I decided to paint the calipers and paint the engine cover red like a Nismo cover (250$ please)
When I decided to dye the stitching of the seats and panels red.
The GTR start button and carbon fiber trim pieces.
The fact that I love the weirdness of the black cherry paint color.

All of these things make my Z, my Z. They are what make me feel proud and can take pride when someone says "wow nice car" or insults me for it being a V6 or anything else. I feel pride because this is my Z, there are many like it but this one is mine. It is part of me.

I can totally respect that someone understands that feeling and feels like they are betraying themselves or the builder because, they didn't have these feelings, these emotions. They can still drive and appreciate the car but they don't have the same connection. That's not a bad thing, just a thing that I think we can all relate to in some way.

KBC749