View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 03:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
GeauxTigers1
Track Member

Drives: 2017 370Z Nismo
GeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond reputeGeauxTigers1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv129 View Post
I think AST bought Motons a few yrs ago. From what I read before, they still contain different internals.

Fwiw, a couple of moton main guys left and created MCS, they also have 370z application.

Curious, why not also consider JRZ?

Are you ok with some downtime every 10k or so miles? Don't know the exact frequency, but periodic rebuilds are supposed to be needed with these shocks.

That comment about not being able to put 648whp down must've gotten you a bit hot haha.
JRZ seems to be even pricer. I believe their entry level set up was somewhere in the 7500+ range. I had been reading and quite a few people on the forums said they didn't see the gains justifying the cost. These ASTs are right where I was hoping to be. Quick question though, where did you find the info on needing to rebuild the shocks? Is that bc people with this suspension are usually tracking them or do they truly need to be rebuilt that often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer_110 View Post
iirc they used to be separate companies but joined forces some years back.

I actually have the AST 5200's on my car with custom valving for the higher spring rates I run.

The upside is the AST's come with the upper mounts while the Moton's require you buy them separate. Also be prepared to wait, when I ordered mine I waited somewhere on the order of 6-8 weeks.
Fantastic! I'll be sure to save you if we come up with any q's. Any recommendations when ordering? Items to pair it with, sway bars etc? I was looking at Stillen bc as mentioned below they talked about that "softer" sway. Also 6-8 weeks aint bad! Shoot anything over seas and I automatically think it'll be JDM all over again which 2 months is the minimum! LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhill View Post
My buddy has AST on his BMW m3 and they are very impressive. I am now considering some 4100series with the ddp option. First looked at KW v3 but the no spring change option and coming with progressive rates is a deal breaker for me. Then thought the BC dr series since they have swift options and are linear but their min drop of somewhere around 1-1.5 inch drop is too much for street use for me. The AST sound like everything in after. Adjustable, spring options, min drop of .5-.75. Talking with them they seem very knowledgable of the Nissan suspensions which is surprising since I've only known about them through the BMW crowd. Also something interesting is they run an 8k front with a 6k rear rate. So same as Oem front but they feel through their testing they actually get more mechanical grip through the softer 6k rear spring. With all the users on here running the softer stock rear sway kinda makes you wonder if they are on to something? Look up Chris Harris in the new Ferrari and how it softens the rear end to regain mechanical grip, of course that's a dynamic suspension so it can change on the fly.
Thanks for the great detail! Repped. The min drop is also huge for me. I hate the gap in the fender well but REALLY hate if I'm scrapping everywhere I go. I'm really leaning towards these shocks over Moton but it sounds like you really can't go wrong either way. I think the KW and BCs are in a whole different category from these. At least when I was researching I found some info that mentioned the KW and BC are good for group events, street, and slight track, but these you are truly upgrading the suspension with an entry level track racing setup. At least that's the info I've found so far.
Fast Intentions Kit Stage 2 #076 2017 Twin Turbo 370z Nismo. JMS Built Block, Closed Deck 874whp, 803lbs Tq e85 Ecutek Tune
GeauxTigers1 is offline   Reply With Quote