View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
MikeGTO
Base Member

Drives: '04 Pontiac GTO
MikeGTO is on a distinguished road
Default Option prices/packages seem really high

Kudos to Nissan for keeping the base price under 30k, but I've got to say that the option prices for the Touring and Sport packages really seems out of line, IMHO.

I'll start with the Sport package. It's about $3000, and includes:

Larger/Fatter wheels & tires
Brake Upgrade 12" --> 14"
LSD (which comes standard on inexpensive domestics like F-body & Mustang)
Spoilers

I'm have a hard time seeing how that really adds up to 3 grand more than the standard kit. LSD ought to be standard, as it was on less expensive domestics like Mustang GT and the 4-th gen V8 F-body. And back when LSD was a separate option on Fords, it was something like a $250 option.

Brakes...well it's not like the standard 12" brakes are tiny. Is there really that big a difference in cost?

And we know that even with the sport pack, the car is missing coolers that early reports suggest are quite needed for track use.

As to the touring package, now we are looking at over $4000 for this. Which really only gets you leather, premium stereo, some electronics like Bluetooth that probably have a material cost of $2.50, and a bunch of frilly things like aluminum trim on the pedals, and a map pocket and cargo cover. And floormats are STILL EXTRA. On most cars, this kind of "premium" package is only $2000-3000.

The more I look at the option packages, the more I think Nissan is gouging customers on options. If and when I'm ready to buy, the no-option base model is going to get a good hard look from me, it sure seems like the best value. I don't plan on tracking the car anyway.

Last edited by MikeGTO; 02-23-2009 at 11:54 PM.
MikeGTO is offline   Reply With Quote