Thread: Buyer's Remorse
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
FairmanZ
Base Member

Drives: Z34 future owner
FairmanZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
Based on your basic math, $6k now for $2k, 4 yrs later isn't so bad considering depreciation and extra "utility" of having touring and nav. Also, we can underestimate the extra marketing edge of having touring and nav later vs a base car - could mean quicker sale later.

I am also not buying your extra "performance" over touring - come on, we are talking 46lbs.

At the end, it all comes down to what can you afford and willing to dish out for a Z. Either way, it's win win.
If one buys the Touring + Nav because that's what one wants, more power to 'em - nothing wrong with that. But to buy with the mindset of helping resale value is what I don't agree with. Cars are depreciating assets no matter how you spin it. The more you spend, the more you will lose in depreciation in the long run.

As for performance, yeah 46 lbs may not seem like a big deal. Yet there will be many trying to shave every bit of fat from the Z to get it lighter. Starting out with the Touring + Nav + 7spd AT starts you off automatically at a weight disadvantage. That’s the heaviest configuration model. You’ve got an added 46 for the Touring + 37 for the AT + more for the Nav.

Although Nissan marketing claims 46 lbs difference, I have a sneaky feeling once people get the cars on the scales the Touring will be even heavier. Nissan states the Base is 3232 lbs. Yet Car & Driver and MotorTrend weighed their test cars (Base + Sport) at 3350-3370 lbs. Add 46+ lbs more, means the Touring will be well over 3400 lbs!

But having said all this, I’m still personally torn between whether to get the Touring or Base. For me, it’s not about the money; I will be paying cash for the car either way. It basically comes down to what I want for my needs.
FairmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote