Thread: Touchy Clutch
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
dbrs0821
Base Member

Drives: '09 370Z Touring 6MT
dbrs0821 is on a distinguished road
Default Clatter and rattle

Hey guys...this is my first post and I dig the site. Some really great stuff here. I just came from an '09 Maxima SV Premium on a short-term lease, so this car definitely has a different personality and feel.

Just picked up a new '09 Touring 6MT. My concerns with the tranny noises (haha, I chuckled as I typed that!!) have been surfaced and circulated in some fashion on this site. Those concerns being:

- Almost impossible to get a "clean" shift from 1st to 2nd, unless I "baby" the clutch and accellerator relationship. The noise is unsettling but I'm told by three different techs at the dealership that it's normal for this car.

- I also have the clutch clatter, but mine goes beyond that and makes a louder clattering noise when you park and turn off the car without pressing the clutch. But, park and turn off the car with the clutch pressed in and no problem. It def sounds like the flywheel. Again, I'm told all is well and not to worry.

I've been inclined to take it to another dealership for a second opinion, but my cousin, a Z enthusiast who's owned 6 Z's in his life, says I have nothing to worry about and just need to get used to these sounds. Granted, coming from the Max, I'm hearing noises from the road and the car in general that I never noticed in the Max.

The 1st to 2nd transition has me more concerned than the clatter. I guess the synchros and such are covered under the powertrain warranty, I just don't want them to try and peg it on me as wear and tear or abuse. I don't spin the tires, hardly ever downshift (usually just go to neutral and coast), and hardly ever drive aggressively.

Am I just being too OCD? LOL

Thoughts?
dbrs0821 is offline   Reply With Quote