View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Darwins Child
Base Member

Drives: '14 Z Tour+Sport 7AT
Darwins Child is on a distinguished road

Thanks, guys.

I take it from your responses that in the US this coating is not present on new vehicles. That is, all there is is just paint with no visible coating, right?

Now that you mention that it could be a wax, the consistency and feel do indeed resemble that of a wax. But this has got darker brown speckles in it which I suppose might be just dust that has attached itself to the wax. Maybe simply heating it with a hair dryer would cause it to melt and run right off.

You know, if I had it all to do over again, even though it was pretty ugly to my eye, I probably wouldn't attempt to remove it...... at least before investigating further what the heck it might be. So before going any further with cleaning, I'll take the vehicle to the dealership and see what they've got to say about the coating. I'll also take the opportunity to look under a new Z's hood to see if the same coating is present. If there is, not only will I not go any further on cleaning, I might actually be putting some more back on there! I like clean and pretty, but I also appreciate an ugly but protective coating.

Thanks again.
Darwins Child is offline   Reply With Quote