View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
giantdefy
Base Member

Drives: 370z
giantdefy is on a distinguished road

I was reading the brochure on the GTR, and it says that they do a engine break-in running the motor for 1 hour to include a continuous 10 minute run at redline before the customer gets the car. This contradicts what their manual says to do with the 370Z. I know they are different cars, but shouldnt all break-ins be done the same?
Ive heard of folks saying that the reason they dont want you to run the car too hard during the 1st 1000 miles or so, is because if anything were to go wrong with the car, it would be in those 1st 1000 miles. And if your running hard and fast, you could get into an accident if any part failed, this would mean a law suit against Nissan.
I do know that your supposed to vary your speed frequently in order to put a load on the cylinder walls so that it breaks-in properly. Holding at one speed for too long creates hot spots in one area and the cylinder wall dont get broken-in properly causing oil consumption and bad compression. I believe the owners manual states not to keep the car at a constant speed during break-in.
giantdefy is offline   Reply With Quote