View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #57 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannibul View Post
We had a "nice" winter storm over the weekend. 8" of snow for us...I ventured out 3 times total since the storm happened Thursday night, twice with our Civic, once with my truck. No work today, they decided to stay closed...FWIW. Yes, we have salt/sand trucks and road clearing equipment....sadly, they do nothing more than a lane of highway and call it good...and even then...

I have to say that I can not imagine someone stupid enough to drive the Z in conditions like what we have here, or anything short of a cleared-to-pavement and dry roadway. Here we have 1-2" of ice formed by compression of vehicles running over the snow and salt/sand and sun melting it just enough to refreeze overnight. What's left is polished in places to near black-ice levels of slickness. On hte roads we have two tracks cutting groves in the ice that make your car do 4-wheel-steering between the channels, so your rotating a bit in both directions (and random left-to right as well) while trying to go straight...

But, with my Civic and my Truck - I don't worry about wrecking 40K worth of Z, or my insurance premiums going up because someone hit me, or the salt/sand eating paint/metal...in fact, I can come home, look in my garage, and see my perfectly clean, happy (though cold) Z sitting there, waiting for me to start her up in a few months.

Anyhow...smart thing to do would be to spend that $1500 for wheels and tires for the Z, and get a second vehicle to drive in the winter...

If you're concerned about other people causing an accident, then I suppose that's a legitimate reason to find a clunker and potentially protect your Z.

If you're referring to the Z as being unfit to safely drive in snow and ice, I have to strongly disagree. This car with snow tires handles better than any car I've previously owned with all season tires. I come from driving two Audi A4 Quattros and a Landrover Defender 90. The Z with snow tires, without a doubt, accelerates, brakes and corners better in wintery conditions than any of those previous cars. Until you guys have driven a Z with snow tires in those conditions, you just won't understand how well it handles things. I've been nothing but impressed with the winter rubber. AK can attest to this as well.