View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #6877 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Ordering a new undershroud because mine got torn up yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
Ran over a dead dog yesterday on my way back through San Antonio

( Click to show/hide )
Yellow lab probably a good 80 lbs laying horizontal in the right hand lane. The 18 wheelers ahead didn't even move (expected), and the lifted pickup truck in front of me made a slow lane change and cleared it at the last second (). By the time I recognized the problem, I did not feel that I had a safe maneuver that would ensure my wheels missed completely, so I just hit it full on at 75 mph

Pulled over immediately and didn't see any outright damage other than the plastic undershroud being torn up. I called a fellow Z (300ZX) owner I know in San Antonio, and he told me to bring it by right away. He let me put it up on his shop's lift in the middle of a busy work day, and I gave him the $40 cash I had on me. Love this community

Front chin spoiler seems to be in mostly ok condition though it is bent back pretty good. There is a small crack on the underside of the bumper that isn't visible. The plastic undershroud is torn (good excuse to finally get the ZSpeed one). The FI exhaust took a small dent on the underside of the passenger side muffler piping (not the CF mufflers themselves). That's about it for the damage. Since the car was driveable and I was already behind schedule, I headed off to Lockhart for my next appointment.

Looking at the car on the lift, blood and guts were all over the undercarriage. The jagged edges of the chassis "w" brace caught a good amount of fur and bits. The cavity for the OEM muffler was also peppered with blood and bits as my impact rolled the dog over. On my way to Lockhart (2nd inspection), I drove through a good rain at 85 mph hoping that would clean off some. But after I got home, it did not appear to do much. The hour long drive before I hit the rain must have cooked everything. I put the car on jack stands in the driveway and hit it with the hose and an old wheel brush for about 45 minutes before I was happy with the results. I pulled the car into the garage and after 15 minutes the garage stunk like dead fish. So I parked in the driveway last night and got a nice wash from the rain (no hail, thankfully).

After inspecting my dashcam footage for the incident I discovered several gaps in the recordings, including this incident. I think it might be the microSD card I'm using. I am purchasing one with a specifically high sustained write speed and will test it out at the next chance I get. I've done numerous trips to DFW (about the same distance as my trip yesterday) and the previous microSD card didn't have any problems recording the entire trip. I stole that card for my GoPro because the GoPro is even more picky about sustained write speeds than the dashcam.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |