View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #55 (permalink)
OldGuy
Base Member

Drives: '09370Z Red Base A7
OldGuy has a spectacular aura aboutOldGuy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannibul View Post
We had a "nice" winter storm over the weekend. 8" of snow for us...I ventured out 3 times total since the storm happened Thursday night, twice with our Civic, once with my truck. No work today, they decided to stay closed...FWIW. Yes, we have salt/sand trucks and road clearing equipment....sadly, they do nothing more than a lane of highway and call it good...and even then...

I have to say that I can not imagine someone stupid enough to drive the Z in conditions like what we have here, or anything short of a cleared-to-pavement and dry roadway. Here we have 1-2" of ice formed by compression of vehicles running over the snow and salt/sand and sun melting it just enough to refreeze overnight. What's left is polished in places to near black-ice levels of slickness. On hte roads we have two tracks cutting groves in the ice that make your car do 4-wheel-steering between the channels, so your rotating a bit in both directions (and random left-to right as well) while trying to go straight...

But, with my Civic and my Truck - I don't worry about wrecking 40K worth of Z, or my insurance premiums going up because someone hit me, or the salt/sand eating paint/metal...in fact, I can come home, look in my garage, and see my perfectly clean, happy (though cold) Z sitting there, waiting for me to start her up in a few months.

Anyhow...smart thing to do would be to spend that $1500 for wheels and tires for the Z, and get a second vehicle to drive in the winter...
Good advice.
OldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote