View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
AntiVenom
Track Member

Drives: 2011 KAD 6MT
AntiVenom has a spectacular aura aboutAntiVenom has a spectacular aura aboutAntiVenom has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125R View Post
You seem from the few post here very knowledgeable about working on vehicles. My question is why go SC? It seems that most thoughts on this forum anyway state you get more bang for your buck with a Turbo. I don't plan on either of those options anytime soon but I'm always interested when people go against the grain.

Your ride is looking real nice by the way.
I won't claim to be a guru of any sort, but I have definitely been working on cars most, if not all my life (used to help my dad with his, and have always worked on my own). I do the majority of my own work as long as it doesn't require very specialized tools (alignments, tire mounting/balancing, major paint/body work).

Anyway, to the point. I chose to go with a supercharger for the following reasons:
-more linear power delivery. my plan is to autoX (for fun) and track the car, so I wanted very predictable power delivery. since the SC is tied directly to engine RPM there is no boost lag or turbo punch.
-I am comfortable with 500 or so WHP. I am not looking to make a HP beast, trying to keep it balanced. It is more difficult to up the boost on a supercharger (i.e. it isnīt just a touch of a button or a twist of a knob). I want to keep well within the parameters of the stock block
-I didn't go with Stillen because it requires some strange modifications to various components in order to make it fit. It also seems to have some other short comings in terms of performance (cooling, air flow, etc.). Between Stillen and going with a twin turbo setup I would probably have gone turbo.

I will be able to give some further impressions after the install. My brother has a 370z with a Boosted Performance setup (they are single turbo), putting down a similar WHP as what I expect to get. I look forward to some comparison runs, as well as driving them back to back.

edit: I think the reason the forum prefers turbos is two reasons. 1) there are more available turbo kits, and GTM/Gamma is currently on the shunned list. 2) they make more horsepower and are more upgradeable if you want more power. anything beyond 500ft/lbs of torque requires a built block though. Conversely, this would be the cons to the supercharger setup.

also, this is a pretty quick read that explains some pros and cons of both Pros and Cons of Superchargers vs Turbochargers

Last edited by AntiVenom; 04-11-2016 at 10:20 AM.
AntiVenom is offline   Reply With Quote