View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmorr370 View Post
... Can anyone shed some light on what may have caused this to happen? ...
Probably too much pressure drop across the filter element. The filter is probably much dirtier than you think it is. The high heat under the hood may have weakened the filter element, also.

Or the previous installer may have been ham-handed.

Quote:
... Is this robbing me of enough power to be concerned? ...
The filter element being collapsed isn't robbing a lot* of HP but it probably collapsed because it is dirty which will cause a big HP loss.

*Depends on your definition of "a lot." For most DDs, not enough to notice.

Quote:
... Can these filters be straitened back out, or do I need to just go ahead and replace them? ...
Depends on what the "paper" is made of. If it is a hard, resin-coated filter, then probably not. Softer materials may hold up to re-shaping. I'd replace them if it were my car.

Quote:
... If so, should I just buy larger K&Ns or go with a different size/brand altogether to avoid a repeat? ...
As others have said, that setup sucks in the very hot air that is under the hood. Something that gets air from in front of the radiator (stock, CAI, &c) will make your engine much happier.